With each new quarter we get to look forward to new rotating categories for the Chase Freedom cards. Each quarter the 5% categories change so it’s important you stay up-to-date on what the changes are. Before we get to the categories let’s first review how the 5% cash back works.
Here’s a quick overview:
- You earn 5% in categories that change each quarter.
- Earn 1% on everything else outside of the rotating categories.
You’ll earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 spent each quarter. This is equivalent to $75 of free money. Each quarter the categories in which you can earn the 5% change, but regardless of category, you always get 5% back. Keep in mind, you always earn a full 1% cash back on all your other purchases that fall outside of the categories. After you spend $1,500 in the rotating categories you then start earning 1%.
Here are the 5% rotating categories for January – March 2013:
- gas stations
- Starbucks® stores
In order to be eligible you must register. This will allow you to get the 5% back for your gas and restaurant purchases. If you don’t register then you don’t get to participate. You can register by accessing your online account. This is basically free money, so be sure to register.
Chase Freedom Cards
If you want to get into the cash back action then take a look at these Chase Freedom Cards. Each card give 5% back in the rotating categories and even have a nice cash back bonus for new cardmembers. There are two versions of each card – Visa and MasterCard.
- Earn a $100 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- 5% Cash Back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases between 1/1/15—3/31/15 at grocery stores (not including Walmart® and Target® purchases), movie theaters, and Starbucks® stores
- Earn a $25 Bonus after you add your first authorized user and make a purchase within this same 3-month period
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers. After the intro period, a variable APR of 13.99-22.99%
- You'll enjoy new 5% categories every 3 months like restaurants, gas stations, and Amazon.com. It's free and easy to activate your bonus each quarter!
- Unlimited 1% Cash Back on all other purchases
- No annual fee and rewards never expire as long as your account is open
The other version of this card is the Chase Freedom® MasterCard.