Capital One 360, formerly ING Direct, offers a no fee checking account with a competitive interest rate. The account is free to open, has no monthly maintenance fees, and offers interest on the checking account balance. It also offers more than 38,000 free ATMs.
Capital One 360 also has an excellent smartphone app that is easy to use. You can make a deposit by snapping a picture of a check, check balances, or transfer funds from one 360 account to another. I’ve used the smartphone app extensively and found it extremely easy to use.
Capital One 360 Checking Highlights
- Fees: No hidden fees or minimums as you earn interest on your everyday money
- ATMs: 38,000 fee-free Allpoint® ATMAutomatic Teller Machines and 2,000 Capital One® ATMs
- Debit Card: Free MasterCard® Debit Card for all purchases
- Credit Pull: According to Capital One 360, they do a “soft” pull (won’t affect your credit score) when you apply for a checking account. However, they do a “hard” pull (may affect your credit score) if you apply for overdraft line of credit.
- Direct Deposit: Yes
- Minimum Deposit Requirement: There are no minimum balance requirements
- Availability: All 50 states
Capital One 360 pays you when you refer a friend or family member. The current payout is $20 per referral, up to a total of $1,000. In addition, the friend you refer can get up to $50 in bonuses from CapOne360.
While they last, you can take advantage of the following refer-a-friend links to qualify for bonuses when you open an account with Capital One 360:
Capital One 360 Checking: Use this refer-a-friend link to get a $50 bonus on a new checking account, a $25 bonus on a new savings account, a $25 bonus on a kid’s savings account, or a $25 bonus on the Capital One 360 Money account.