The Citi Diamond Preferred Card does one thing, and it does it well. It offers one of the longest 0% offers on purchases and balance transfers.
- The key feature is the card’s 0% Intro APR for 18 months on purchases and balance transfers.
- After that the variable APR will apply based on your creditworthiness.
- Balance transfers must be completed within 4 months of account opening.
- There is a fee of either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.
- You get free access to your FICO® Score, although it’s a specialized score designed for credit cards
- No Annual Fee
Pros & Cons
What we like
- Excellent 0% APR offer on balance transfers and purchases
- No annual fee
What could be better
- This is not a rewards card
The Citi Diamond Preferred Card offers one of the longest 0% introductory APRs currently available. Another option in this category is the Wells Fargo Platinum card. The downside is that the Citi card is short on rewards.
If a slightly shorter 0% introductory period still meets your needs (say 15 months instead of 18), there are other offers that come with excellent cash back rewards:
- Early Spend Bonus: $200 cash bonus after you spend $500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase
- Intro APR: 0% intro APR on purchases for 15 months
- No annual fee
- No foreign transaction fees
- Welcome Offer: Earn $150 bonus cash after spending $500 within your first 3 months.
- Cash Back: Earn 1.5% cash rewards on every purchase
- Cash Back Bonus: Earn 1.8% cash rewards on qualified mobile wallet purchases during the first 12 months from account opening
- Get up to $600 protection on your cell phone (subject to $25 deductible) against covered damage or theft when you pay your monthly cellular telephone bill with your Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® Card
- Intro APR: 0% Intro APR for 15 on purchases and qualifying balance transfers
- $0 Annual Fee
The Citi Diamond Preferred Card is a good option if you need a 0% APR for either a big purchase or transfer a balance. The balance transfer fee is reasonable (3%), and the card does not charge an annual fee.
Citi Diamond Preferred Card Snapshot
Balance transfer fee: 3% of each transfer ($5 minimum)
Annual fee: $0
Signup Bonus: None
- 24/7 Customer Service: Citi’s customer service representatives are available around the clock.
- Choose your payment due date: You decide whether your payment is due at the beginning, middle or end of the month.
- $0 Liability on Unauthorized Charges: Shop anywhere and never lose a penny on unauthorized charges. With $0 Liability you won’t pay for any unauthorized charges made on your Citi credit card.
- Account Alerts: Get alerts on your balance, payment due date, or if you go over your credit limit.
- Digital Wallet: The card works with Apple Pay and Google Pay.
- Contactless Payment: Just tap the card to pay.
The Citi Diamond Preferred Card is best for
No annual fee
Those looking for a basic, no annual fee card might consider the Citi Diamond Preferred Card.
0% Balance Transfer
Those with high interest debit on non-Citi credit cards might do well with this offer. It has one of the longest 0% balance transfers available today.
If you are planning a big purchase, the 0% on purchases may be ideal. Just remember to pay the balance off in full before the introductory rate expires (or have a plan to transfer it to another balance transfer card).
Who might want a different card
If you are looking for cash back, travel or other rewards, the Citi Diamond Preferred Card is not for you. It offers no purchase rewards.
No signup bonus
Those looking for a rich signup bonus should also look elsewhere.
Citi Diamond Preferred Card Rating
Citi Diamond Preferred Card
The Citi Diamond Preferred Card is worth considering if you want a basic, no frills credit card without paying an annual fee. It’s also a contender for those looking for a 0% APR on purchases or balance transfers.
Yes, if you are looking for a balance transfer card or 0% APR on purchases. For those seeking rewards, it doesn’t offer any?
3% of the amount transferred, subject to a $5 minimum.
It currently lasts for 18 months. After that, any remaining balance will be subject to a variable interest rate applicable to regular purchases, which is based on the applicant’s credit worthiness.