The Discover it Balance Transfer credit card offers a combination of lucrative cash back rewards, 0% introductory APR on balance transfers and purchases, free access to your FICO score, and all without charging an annual fee.
The Discover it Balance Transfer card is one of my favorites. I’ve carried Discover cards for well over a decade because of its 5% cash back categories. This card is also an excellent option for those wanting to transfer high interest credit card balances to a 0% card. With no annual fee, no over limit fee, no foreign transaction fee and no late fee on your first late payment, the Discover it Balance Transfer card is extremely consumer friendly.
Discover it® – 18 Month Balance Transfer Offer Snapshot
- You could turn $200 into $400 with Cashback Match. Discover will match all the cash back you earn at the end of your first year. New cardmembers only.
- Earn 5% cash back in new bonus categories like gas, restaurants and Amazon – up to $1,500 every quarter you activate. Plus, unlimited 1% cashback on all other purchases.
- 0% introductory APR for 18 months on balance transfers and 6 months on purchases.
- Redeem your cash back for any amount, any time. Cash rewards never expire.
- 100% U.S. based customer service.
- FICO® Credit Scores for free on statements and online.
- No annual fee
The Discover it Balance Transfer card offers a two-tier cash back rewards system + a first year bonus:
1. 5% Cash Back: Discover offers card members 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in purchases each quarter in select categories. The category of purchases that qualify change each quarter. Categories include purchases on gas, restaurants and home-improvement stores. You must activate the 5% rewards each quarter to receive them.
2. 1% Cash Back: On purchases above the quarterly $1500 limit or in categories that don’t qualify for the 5% rewards, Discover pays one percent cash back.
3. First Year Bonus: At the end of the first year, Discover will double your cash back rewards. This turns 5% into 10% and 1% into 2%.
0% Introductory Rate
The Discover it Balance Transfer card is, as the name suggests, best known for its balance transfer offer. You get a 0% introductory APR on balance transfers for 18 months. The card also offers a 0% introductory rate on purchases for a period of 6 months. This is ideal if you are making a big purchase and you know you will need some extra time to pay it off.
The Discover it Balance Transfer Card offers several additional benefits:
- Redeem Any Amount, Any Time: You can redeem your cash back for any amount at any time. And your cash back never expires.
- Freeze ItSM on/off switch for your account.: Misplaced your card? Now if you lose your card, you can Freeze ItSM to prevent new purchases, cash advances or balance transfers on your account. Freeze or unfreeze in seconds with our mobile app or website
- Service and security built around you: Discovers 100% U.S. live service is available any time you call. Or rely on powerful, fast mobile and online service. Discover ships replacement cards overnight for free to any U.S. street address at your request—even on vacation. And Discover will never hold you responsible for unauthorized purchases on your Discover card.
- Track your recent FICO Credit Scores for free: Stay on top of your credit and avoid surprises. Now you can see your recent FICO Credit Scores in one easy-to-read chart on monthly statements and online. Plus see the key factors online from your credit history that affect your score the most.
What we like about the Discover it® Card
- Double cash back you’ve earned at the end of your first year
- Up to 5% cash back
- No annual fee
- No foreign transaction fee
- Free FICO score
- 0% introductory APR for 18 months on balance transfers
What could be better
- 5% rewards categories cap at $1,500 per quarter
- You must activate the 5% rewards each quater
- 0% introductory APR on purchases lasts for just 6 months
- Requires Excellent Credit
- 3% balance transfer fee on the into offer