The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card offers 40,000 bonus points to new cardmembers who spend $1,000 within 3 months of opening an account. It also offers up to 2 points per dollar spent.
Rewarding loyalty, this card gives you 2 points per dollar spent on Southwest Airlines Purchases and participating Hotel and Car Rentals. Giving you 6,000 points after your Cardmember Anniversary and 1 point per dollar on all other purchases the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card offers its user the ability to earn many points to put toward flights with Southwest Airlines.
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card Snapshot
- Earn 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
- Earn an additional 20,000 after spending $12,000 within your first year.
- 6,000 bonus points after you’ve had the card for one year
- 2 points per $1 spent on Southwest purchases and Rapid Rewards Hotel and Car Rental Partner purchases
- 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Earn unlimited points
- No foreign transaction fees
- No blackout dates or seat restrictions
- Bags fly free
Earning Rapid Rewards Points
TheSouthwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card benefits from a simple yet rich rewards program.
Bonus Points: Earn 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in your first 3 months of opening an account. You also receive 6,000 bonus points after your cardmember anniversary.
2x Points: Earn 2 points for every dollar you spend on Southwest Airlines purchases and purchases at participating Hotel and Car Rental partners.
1x Points: Earn 1 point for every 1 dollar you spend on all other purchases.
Using Rapid Rewards Points
The most frequent use of Rapid Rewards Points is for free airfare on Southwest. Unlike some other airlines, there is no set number of points needed for travel. Instead, the number of points require for a free airline ticket depends on “destination, time, day of travel, demand, fare class, point redemption rate, and other factors and is subject to change,” according to Southwest Airlines.
To give you an idea of the value of the points, here are the redemption values on several flights (keep in mind that these can change daily):
|New York City||Los Angeles||29,250|
|New York City||Chicago||19,890|
|New York City||Chicago||19,890|
You can also use points for rental cars, hotels, gift cards and other rewards. Here the points are typically worth 1 cent (e.g., $100 Best Western travel card costs 10,000 points).
The Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card offers several additional benefits:
- No Foreign Transaction Fees: No foreign transaction fees on purchases made abroad
- No blackout dates or seat restrictions: Now you never have to worry about pesky blackout dates or seat restrictions when you redeem your rewards points
- Bags Fly Free: Now your first and second checked bags fly free. Weight and size limits apply
- No Change Fees: When you have to change your flight, some airlines charge up to $150 on top of paying a difference in fare. Unlike competitors, Southwest Airlines understand unexpected events may happen and don’t charge you a fee for changing
What we like about the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card
- Earn 40,000 bonus points for new customers after spending $1,000 on purchases within 3 months
- Earn 2 points/$1 spent on Southwest Airlines purchases and participating Hotel and Car Rental partners
- Points never expire, no blackout dates, no seat restrictions
- No rewards cap
What could be better
- $99 Annual Fee
- Requires Excellent Credit