A few years ago Wells Fargo announced a new travel credit card, the Wells Fargo Propel World MasterCard. Since then the card has morphed into the Wells Fargo Propel American Express Card. It offers up to 3% in rewards, a healthy signup bonus, no foreign transaction fees, and no annual fee.
In this review, we’ll take a deeper dive into the Wells Fargo Propel American Express Card to see how it compares with other travel rewards cards.
Wells Fargo Propel American Express Card
- Earn 20,000 bonus points when you spend $1,000 in purchases in the first 3 months – that’s a $200 cash redemption value
- Earn 3X points for eating out and ordering in
- Earn 3X points for gas stations, rideshares and transit
- Earn 3X points for travel including flights, hotels, homestays and car rentals
- Earn 1X points on other purchases
- 0% intro APR for 12 months on purchases and balance transfers
- No annual fee
The key feature of this card is bonus structure. It includes a signup bonus, increased rewards on certain purchase categories, and a standard reward on all other purchases.
- Signup Bonus: Earn 20,000 when you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months. These bonus points are valued at $200.
- 3x Points on Travel Purchases: This includes airline, passenger railway, hotel and motel, timeshares, vehicle and auto rentals, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, campgrounds, passenger trains, taxis, limousines, ferries, toll bridges and highways, parking lots, and garages.
- 3x Points on Gas Purchases: gas stations and automated fuel dispensers (gas purchases at warehouse and membership clubs, grocery stores, car washes, auto repair stores, and superstores that sell gasoline may not be coded as gas stations or automated fuel dispensers).
- 3x Points on Dining: eating places and restaurants, drinking places, or fast food restaurants (caterers, bakeries, grocery stores, and other miscellaneous places that serve food or operate restaurants on their premises are not considered eating places and restaurants).
- 3x Points on Eligible Streaming Services: Apple Music, Hulu, Netflix, Pandora, Sirius XM Radio Inc., and Spotify Premium.
- 1x Points on All Other Purchases.
How Does the Wells Fargo Propel American Express Card Compare
The cards 3x points cover far more purchase categories than most travel cards. Elevated rewards for travel and dining are more common. The Wells Fargo Propel American Express Card adds gas and streaming services. Furthermore, it’s rare to see such rich rewards with a card that has no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees.
That’s not to say, however, that the card is without competition. In fact, there are several other travel reward credit cards to consider:
The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Welcome Offer: Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards points after you use your new card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Uber Bonus: Up to $200 for Uber rides annually.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
- Receive 60,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. 60,000 points are worth $750 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants
- 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- $0 foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value
- $ Annual Fee
Click here to learn more about the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card and similar credit cards.
Chase Sapphire Reserve Card
- Welcome Offer: Earn 50K bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That’s $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit
- 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit.
- 3X points on dining at restaurants & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
- $0 foreign transaction fees.
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,000+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™
- Select Up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre?®
Click here to learn more about the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card and similar credit cards.
Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card
- One-time Bonus: Earn 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day.
- Earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels; learn more at hotels.com/venture, through January 2020
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre?®
- Miles aren’t specific to any airline or hotel, so they can be used antwhere
- Travel when you want with no blackout dates
- Miles won’t expire for the life of the account
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that
The Wells Fargo Propel American Express Card is a solid travel card with excellent rewards. It’s arguably one of the best travel credit cards that doesn’t charge an annual fee.