American Express has been a prominent member of the credit card community since it’s inception. For years, they focused on high fee, high rewards and perks charge cards tailored to the wealthy. Over the last decade however, American Express has made a great effort to cater to middle class income earners.
The Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express is on of Amex’s strongest offers for two reasons. This card stands out with its cash back rewards AND it charges no annual fee.
Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express Snapshot
- Welcome Offer: Earn $100 statement credit after you spend $2,000 on purchases with the card in the first 6 months.
- Earn 20% back on Amazon.com purchases on the card in the first 6 months of Card membership, up to $150 back.
- Cash Back Rewards–
- 3% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%);
- 2% cash back at U.S. gas stations and at select U.S. department stores; and
- 1% back on other purchases.
- Note: Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be easily redeemed for statement credits, gift cards, and merchandise.
- Intro APR: 0% for 15 months on purchases, then 13.99% - 23.99% Variable
- No annual fee.
- Terms Apply. (See Rates & Fees)
Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express Cash Back Rewards
The everyday rewards program for the Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express is as follows:
- 3% cash back at U.S. Supermarkets (for the first $6,000 spent every year)
- 2% cash back at U.S. select department stores and at U.S. gas stations
- 1% cash back everywhere else
For the typical family of four, 3% cash back at the grocery store stands to be great savings. A family spending $500 a month on groceries earns $15 cash back. Multiply that out across 12 months, and you’ll save $180 at the grocery store every year. Tack on $2,000 spent on gas every year ($40 cash back) and 1% on everything else and you quickly save hundreds annually.
You can add to that $150 during year one because AMEX offers a welcome bonus. All new cardmembers will receive a $150 statement credit after spending $1,000 in the first three months. This is a one-time bonus and the spend hurdle of $1,000 isn’t very imposing.
Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express Pricing Details
Included with everything you see is a 0% intro APR on purchases for 15 months. After that you’ll pay a variable APR based on your credit worthiness.
Most importantly, there is no annual fee.
Additional Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express Perks
Extended Warranty – When you use your Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express to make purchases, American Express will extend your warranty. Warranty extensions occur as follows:
- If your warranty is less than a year, American Express will match it.
- If your warranty is between 1 year and 5 years, American Express will add one additional year
- For warranties over 5 years, American Express adds nothing. Sorry.
In order to qualify to receive the extended warranty, your account with American Express must be in good standing. The maximum dollar amount protection on a single purchase is $10,000 and no more than $50,000 per member per calendar year.
Accidental Damage Protection – Sometimes life sucks. You buy a brand new computer only to accidentally drop it and crack the screen. American Express has you covered for up to 90 days if your purchaser doesn’t cover the damage. Same rules apply as above; you must have an account with AMEX in good standing. The limits are also the same, $10,000 max per purchase, $50,000 max per calendar year.
ShopRunner Membership – If you’re in the mood for free 2-day shipping, then this benefit can save you a lot of wait time. Cardmembers need to visit this link and sign-up an eligible American Express Card. Your account and membership will always remain active so long as the card you register remains open and in good standing.
- List of current stores participating in ShopRunner 2-day shipping.
Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express
The Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express is a top rated cash back card that comes with all the extra perks offered by Amex. It’s an excellent no annual fee card.
Owning a cash back credit card is an essential part of a strong personal finance portfolio. I know there are purists out there who like to pay cash for everything but to be honest, that’s foolish. Setting aside the obvious rewards benefits, a strong credit card offers protection too. The Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express is one of those diamond in the rough cards that excel everywhere. Consider it for your future purchases. (See Rates & Fees).