One of the few cards to earn our coveted 5-star rating, Citi Double Cash offers excellent cash back and a 0% APR on balance transfers, all without charging an annual fee.
- Rewards: 2% cash back: 1% when you buy + 1% as you pay
- 0% Intro APR: Get 0% APR on Balance Transfers for 18 months.
- Annual Fee: $0
- Credit Required: Good to excellent (690+)
The Citi Double Cash Credit Card is one of the few credit cards to earn a perfect 5 star rating. That’s not to say, however, that it’s perfect. No credit card is. But its combination of cash back rewards, 0% introductory offer on balance transfers, and no annual fee make it one of the best rewards credit cards available today.
The Citi® Double Cash Card offers a unique cash back reward. You earn unlimited 1% cash back on every purchase + 1% cash back when you pay your credit card bill. It also offers an excellent 0% introductory rate on balance transfers. I’ve carried the card for years, and you’ll see why as we dive into this Citi Double Cash review.
There are other cards that pay 2%, but only if you use the rewards for travel (e.g., Capital One Venture Rewards) or have an account at Fidelity (e.g., Fidelity Visa card). With the Citi Double Cash Card, there are no such requirements.
Pros & Cons
- Excellent cash back rewards
- Long 0% APR on balance transfers
- No annual fee
- Rewards can be redeemed in several ways, including a statement credit or check
- Excellent services from Citibank
- Requires good credit
- No signup bonus
- Foreign transaction fee of 3% makes card not ideal for travel outside the U.S.
RewardsAllcards Rating: 5.0/5.0
One draw to this card is its simplicity. There are no rotating categories and rewards do not need to be spent or redeemed in a certain way to get the maximum benefit. Instead, simply use the card and make at least the minimum payment on time.
You’ll earn 1% on every purchase with the card. You’ll then earn another 1% when you make at least the minimum payment on time. There is no need to pay the card in full. If you do, however, you’ll speed up earning the second 1% cash back. The result is that you can earn a total of 2% of the value of your purchases.
Redeeming rewards is easy. You can apply them as a statement credit to your bill or use them to buy gift cards. You can also ask Citi to send you a check. In my case, I have Citi transfer the rewards directly to my Citi checking account.
A few years ago we earned nearly $2,000 in cash back with this card. Granted, I paid for our children’s college tuition with the card, but why not? Here’s the email Citi sent me on the one year anniversary of getting the card:
Citi Double Cash Rewards Calculator
Introductory Interest RatesAllcards Rating: 5.0/5.0
The card offers a 0% APR introductory rate for 18 months on balance transfers. There is a balance transfer fee of either $5 or 3% fee of the amount of each balance transfer, whichever is greater. This 0% deal compares favorably to the other no interest offers we track.
Features and BenefitsAllcards Rating: 4.8/5.0
The Citi® Double Cash Card as a long list of additional benefits:
- Citi Entertainment: Get special access to purchase tickets to thousands of events, including presale tickets and exclusive experiences for the year’s most anticipated concerts, sporting events, dining experiences and more.
- EMV Chip Technology: The card has an EMV chip for added security.
- Digital Wallets: Works with digital wallets including ApplePay or Android.
- Citi® Identity Theft Solutions: Citi offers assistance if your identity is stolen.
- $0 liability for unauthorized charges
- The Lost Wallet® Service: Citi will replace your card usually within 24 hours. They will also provide you with emergency cash subject to your available cash advance limit.
Who the card is best for
The Citi Double Cash Credit Card is best for everyday use. It’s ideal for those wanting to earn cash back or transfer a balance to a 0% card. Even those who focus on travel rewards need a card that pays excellent rewards on purchases outside of enhanced reward categories.
We’ve paired the Citi Double Cash card with the Chase Sapphire Preferred card for years.
For the vast majority of those looking for a reward card, the Citi Double Cash is simply one of the best. There are at least two circumstances where an alternative cash back reward card would be better.
Second, those who bank at Bank of America and have at least $100,000 at the bank (including Merrill Edge accounts), can do better with the Bank of America Premium Rewards card. With bonuses, it pays 2.62% or more on all purchases. It requires excellent credit.
Credit card companies consider a number of factors when evaluating an application. These factors may include income, debt, existing credit cards and, of course, the applicant's credit score.
While credit card issuers do not publish the criteria for approval, we collect publicly available data on credit scores for those who have been either approved or denied for a credit card. Keep in mind that we cannot verify this information and an issuer's credit score requirements can change over time.
- Approved (08/15/2020): 749 (Equifax)--$7,000 credit limit
- Approved (05/12/2021): 690 (Equifax)--$6,100 credit limit
- Approved (04/26/2020): 752 (Equifax)--$13,800 credit limit
- Denied (09/06/2020): 777 (Equifax)
- Denied (06/13/2021): 630 (Equifax)