The average credit score varies from year to year. In the most recent data released by FICO, the average score was 711. That’s high based on historical standards, as the average score typically falls in a range of 650-700. Finding the best credit card for average credit can be tricky.
A score in the high 600s is good enough to avoid bad credit credit cards. At the same time, it’s not quite high enough for the best credit cards.
The following cards are designed for individuals with credit scores in the 650, 660, 670, 680 or 690 ranges. For FICO scores in this range, these cards offer a good chance of approval, report payments to all three major credit bureaus, offer reasonable terms, and can help improve your credit score.
- List of the Best Credit Cards with Average Credit
- 4 Tips to Getting a Credit Card with a Score of 650 to 700
List of the Best Credit Cards with Average Credit
1. Capital One Platinum Credit Card
The overall best credit card for fair to average credit is the Capital One Platinum Credit Card. It charges no annual fee and includes fraud coverage if the card is lost or stolen. Capital One will automatically consider card holders for a higher credit line in as little as six months. Capital One reports payments to all three credit bureaus.
Consumers have reported approval for this card on various forums with the following credit scores (credit bureau reporting the score and/or credit limit approved when available): 650 (EQ), 694 (TU) , 662 (EX), 673 ($1,000), 606 ($300), 674 (TU, $2,000).
Here’s how Capital One defines fair credit:
2. Jasper Mastercard
The Jasper Mastercard is unique in that you don’t need a credit history to apply. You’ll earn 1% cash back on all eligible purchases, and the cash back rate can go as high as 6%. There’s no annual fee and you can get a credit limit as high as $5,000. And Jasper now reports to all three credit bureaus.
- Earn 1% cash back on every eligible purchase
- Boost cash back to 6% by referring friends
- No credit history required to apply if you don’t already have one
- No annual fee
- No security deposit
- Up to a $5k credit limit.
- Unique credit-building tools and tips via email and app Issued by WebBank, Member FDIC
3. Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
The Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card makes our list because it pays 1.5% cash back on all purchase, a rare feature for a card for fair credit. It does charge a $39, but offers free credit monitoring with Capital One’s CreditWise app.
- Cash Back: Earn 1.5% cash back on every purchase
- Get automatically considered for a higher credit line in as little as 6 months
- Free credit monitoring with the CreditWise® app
- $0 fraud liability if your card is ever lost or stolen
- Get customized alerts and manage your account with the Capital One mobile app
- $39 annual fee
Consumers have reported approval for the QS1 on various forums with the following credit scores (credit bureau reporting the score and/or credit limit approved when available): 676 ($300), 681 (TU), 684 (EQ), 681 (EX), 630 (EQ, $500).
4. Petal 1 Visa Card
The Petal 1 Visa Card is designed for those with low to fair credit. It doesn’t charge an annual fee and offers 2% to 10% in cash back from select merchants. It reports to all 3 credit bureaus and includes a mobile app to help you manage your money.
- Designed for those with low-to-fair credit or cash flow who are seeking to improve their credit score.
- $0 Annual Fee
- 2% – 10% cash back from select merchants
- $500 – $5,000 credit limits
- No annual or international transaction fees.
- Build credit alongside tens of thousands of Petal Card members
- Cash flow technology may help applicants without credit history get approved
- Petal’s mobile app makes it easy to manage your money, track your spending, and automate payments
- See if you’re pre-approved within minutes without impacting your credit score
- Petal reports to all 3 major credit bureaus
- No deposits required
5. Credit One Bank(R) Platinum Visa(R)
The Credit One Bank(R) Platinum Visa(R) offers 1% cash back and no annual fee for those who qualify. You also get free access to your Experian credit score online. Credit One allows you to choose your payment due date and offers $0 fraud liability protection.
- Pre-Qualify: Yes. You can see if you pre-qualify without hurting your credit score
- Annual Fee: $0 for those who qualify, but could be as high as $95 the first year ($99 the second and future years).
- Rewards: Yes. Earn 1% cash back rewards on all purchases, terms apply
- View updates to your Experian credit score with free online access, terms apply
- Choose Your Payment Date: Make paying your bill easier with the ability to choose your payment due date, terms apply
- Mobile App: Access your account on-the-go with the Credit One Bank mobile app
- Alerts: Never miss an account update with customizable text and email alerts
- Build Credit: Credit One reports to all 3 major credit bureaus
6. Upgrade Visa Card
The Upgrade Visa Card charges no annual fee, activation fee or maintenance fee and offers up to 1.5% cashback on payments. You can check your potential credit limit ($500 to $25,000) without affecting your credit score. Keep in mind that this is not a traditional credit card. While it’s accepted anywhere that takes Visa, think of it as a combination of a fixed rate line of credit and a Visa cash rewards credit card.
- 1.5% cash back on payments
- Combine the flexibility of a card with the low cost and predictability of a loan
- $0 fees – $0 annual fee, $0 activation fees, $0 maintenance fees
- No touch payments with contactless technology built in
- See if you qualify in minutes without hurting your credit score
- Access to a virtual card while you wait for your card to arrive in the mail
- Great for large purchases with predictable payments you can budget for
- Mobile app to access your account anytime, anywhere
- Enjoy peace of mind with $0 Fraud liability
7. Capital One Platinum Secured
The Capital One Platinum Secured is one of the best secured credit cards you’ll find anywhere. It charges no annual fee, has a security deposit as lows as $49, and Capital One will consider cardholders for a higher credit limit in as little as 6 months. It reports payments to all 3 credit bureaus.
- Annual Fee: $0
- Regular APR: 26.99% (Variable) (as of 07/06/2021)
- Security Deposit: $49, $99 or $200, based on credit worthiness
- Starting Credit Limit: $200 and automatically considered for a higher credit line in as little as 6 months.
- Credit Reporting: Payments reported to all 3 major credit bureaus
4 Tips to Getting a Credit Card with a Score of 650 to 700
- Know your credit score. Even a few points can make a difference between qualifying for a credit card or not, or perhaps getting a better card. There are plenty of ways to see your score for free.
- Watch the fees. Some credit cards designed for fair credit charge exorbitant fees. Many of the cards in our list charge no annual fee, and the others offer a reasonable fee. As you compare cards, make sure you understand how the fees work.
- Expect lower credit limits. While the credit limit will vary from one card to the next and one applicant to the next, expect credit limits in the hundreds of dollars, not thousands of dollars. There will be some exceptions, of course, but don’t count on it.
- Always pay the card on time. These cards can help improve your credit score, but only if you pay the credit card bill on time, every time. Late payments are the most significant factor in the FICO score, and they can hurt your score considerably, even with just one late payment.