Henry Wells and William Fargo founded Wells Fargo in 1852. Today the bank is one of the largest in the world, offering banking, retirement and investment services, among others. Included in these offerings is a portfolio of Wells Fargo credit cards.
Wells recently revamped its credit card lineup. The result is one of the best cash back cards and one of the best 0% APR cards available today. The bank has taken a less is more approach. On its website it showcases just a few offers. Below you’ll find the cards we think are the best Wells Fargo has to offer, along with how they compare with other options.
Wells Fargo Active Cash Card
If you only want one card, the rewards from this card will likely outperform other cards that offer higher rewards on select categories. The reason is that other cash back cards that payer higher rewards in select categories pay just 1% on everything else. That lower rate catches up with you because it likely will apply to the majority of your purchases (how much can one spend on gas or at drugstores?).
If you carry multiple rewards cards to maximize your cash, this card should be in your wallet. It’s one of the best options for purchases that don’t qualify for higher rewards on other cards.
- Cash Back: You get unlimited 2% cash back on eligible purchases (no category limitations or rotating categories to worry about)
- Signup Bonus: $200 after spending $1,000 within your first 3 months.
- 0% Into APR: 0% intro APR on balance transfers and purchases for 15 months from account opening, then the regular APR applies (14.99% - 24.99%)
- Extra Benefits: Cell phone protection
- Annual fee: $0
The math on the cash back is simple. Here’s a table showing potential cash back based on different spending levels.
|Monthly Spend||Monthly Cash Back||Annual Cash Back|
While this card is our favorite for its category, there are other 2% cash back cards you can consider.
Wells Fargo Reflect Card
- 0% Intro APR: Up to 21 months on qualifying balance transfers and purchases, then the regular APR applies (currently 12.99% - 24.99%)
- Wells Fargo Deals: Earn cash back statement credits from select merchants
- Benefits: Cell phone protection, 24/7 roadside assistance, and zero liability protection
- Annual Fee: $0
Keep in mind that this is not a rewards card. It does offers some cash back deals at select merchants, but this card is designed for those wanting a long 0% APR. At a total of 21 months, it compares with the longest no interest cards available today.
How much you can save in interest depends on your current interest rates and amount of debt. Here are some rough estimates of savings based on a simple interest calculation:
|Debt||Interest Rate||Est. Savings|
Hotels.com Rewards Visa Credit Card
The card pays rewards in the form of stamps. You get 1 stamp for each $500 you charge to the card. You also get 1 stamp for each night you stay at a hotel booked through hotels.com. Collect 10 stamps and you receive 1 reward night. The value of the reward night is the average of the value of the 10 stamps you collected.
The result is a rewards system that effectively pays a 10% rewards rate. There is, however, more to consider. If you earn all 10 stamps based on card spending ($500 = 1 stamp), your reward night can be valued up to $500 (the average value of the 10 stamps). Of course, you may not typically spend $500 a night on hotels. The result can be that you use the stamp on a hotel that’s significantly less than $500.
If instead you earn your stamps through hotel stays, the 10 stamp average will fall within the cost range you typically spend. In this way, the card may be better suited just for use on hotels.com.
- Sign-up bonus: Get 2 reward nights worth $250 total (max $125 per night), when you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
- Rewards: Collect 1 stamp each time you spend $500 on purchases with your card and collect 1 stamp for every night you stay at any eligible property booked on Hotels.com. When you collect 10 stamps, you’ll get 1 reward night to redeem on future bookings through Hotels.com
- Annual Fee: $0
Ultimately, this card is best suited for those who aren’t loyal to one hotel brand.