I’ve carried American Express credit cards for years. It started with the iconic Green American Express many years ago. Since then I’ve carried the Gold card, Platinum Card, TrueEarnings CostCo card (no longer available), and the Blue Cash Preferred card. Yes, I’m an Amex fan.
Today Amex offers a wide variety of cards with excellent rewards. It offers top notch travel rewards, cash back, and even 0% introductory rate offers on balance transfers and purchases. The list below starts with consumer cards, followed by Amex business credit cards.
American Express Personal Credit Cards
Editor’s Pick: My favorite consumer Amex card is the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express. With cash back of up to 6%, the $75 annual fee is well worth the cost. The $150 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months helps, too.
The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card from American Express
- Welcome Bonus: Earn 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Intro APR: 0% for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers
- No Balance Transfer Fee: $0 balance transfer fee. Balance transfers must be requested within 60 days from account opening.
- 2x Rewards: Earn 2x points at US supermarkets, on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1x)
- 1x Rewards: Earn 1x points on other purchases
- Rewards Bonus: Use your Card 20 or more times on purchases in a billing period and earn 20% more points on those purchases less returns and credits
- No annual fee
- Terms Apply
Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express
- Welcome Bonus: $150 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Cash Back Rewards–
- 3% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%);
- 2% cash back at U.S. gas stations and at select U.S. department stores; and
- 1% back on other purchases.
- Note: Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be easily redeemed for statement credits, gift cards, and merchandise.
- Intro APR: 0% for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers.
- No annual fee.
- Terms Apply
Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
- Earn $200 back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn Cash Back: 6% U.S. supermarkets up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%), 3% U.S. gas stations & select U.S. dept stores, 1% other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- With the Blue Cash Preferred® Card, you can start earning cash back. No rotating reward categories. No enrollment required.
- Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit. Cash back is earned only on eligible purchases.
- 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months, then a variable rate based on your creditworthiness and other factors.
- Annual Fee: $95
- Terms Apply
Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express
- Welcome Offer: Earn 25,000 Membership Rewards Points after you use your new Card to make $2,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines.
- 2X points at US restaurants, US gas stations, and at US supermarkets.
- 1X points on other purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees, making this an excellent card for international travel.
- $100 airline fee credit and up to $100 per calendar year for baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $0 Intro Annual Fee for the 1st year, then $195.
- Terms Apply.
Hilton Honors Ascend Card from American Express
- 12X Bonus: Earn 12X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases charged on your card directly with a participating hotel or resort within the Hilton Portfolio.
- 6X Bonus: Earn 6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases on your card at U.S. restaurants, U.S. supermarkets, and U.S. gas stations.
- 3X Bonus: Earn 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases on your card.
- Spend $40,000 on eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year and you can earn Hilton Honors Diamond status through the end of the next calendar year.
- Terms Apply
American Express Business Credit Cards
Editor’s Pick:For Amex business cards, I give the top pick to the SimplyCash® Business Card from American Express. As a small business owner, I know the value of 5% cash back on office supplies and wireless. Add to that 3% cash back on a category of your choice and no annual fee, and this card is a clear winner.
Starwood Preferred Guest(R) Business Credit Card from American Express
- Welcome Bonus #1: Earn a $100 statement credit after you make $1,000 in purchases within your first 3 months.
- Welcome Bonus #2: Earn an additional $100 statement credit after your first purchase at a participating SPG(R) or Marriott Rewards(R) hotel within your first 6 months.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on international purchases.
- Until July 31, 2018: Earn 2 Starpoints(R) for every dollar of eligible purchases at participating SPG(R) and Marriott Rewards(R) hotels. Earn 1 Starpoint for all other eligible purchases.
- On August 1, 2018, SPG will convert every one Starpoint in a loyalty member account to three points.
- Effective August 1, 2018: Earn 6 points for every dollar of eligible purchases on the Card at participating SPG(R) and Marriott Rewards(R) hotels.
- Earn 4 points at U.S. restaurants, U.S. gas stations, wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers, and on U.S. purchases for shipping. Earn 2 points for all other eligible purchases.
- Annual Fee: $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply
Hilton Honors American Express Business Credit Card
- Earn 2X at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio
- Earn 6X on Select Business & Travel Purchases
- Earn 3X Everywhere Else. Terms & Limitations Apply.
- Enjoy complimentary Gold status with your Hilton Honors Business Card.
- Earn a Weekend Night Reward from Hilton Honors after you spend $15,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year.
- Earn another Weekend Night Reward from Hilton Honors after you spend an additional $45,000 in purchases on your card in the same calendar year.
- Enjoy 10 free airport lounge visits each year once enrolled in complimentary Priority Pass(TM) Select membership, which offers access to over 1,000 lounges in over 120 countries.
- Terms apply.
The Plum Card from American Express OPEN
- Early Payoff Discount: Get a 1.5% discount when you pay early, with no cap on what you can earn back.
- Take up to 60 days to pay with no interest, if you pay your minimum due.
- Additional Employee Cards at no annual fee – and an early pay discount on employee spending.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Introductory annual fee of $0 for the first year, then $250
- Terms & Restrictions Apply.